The Rome Scholarship 2018 – Call for Entry
The Royal Society of British Artists is able to offer this major scholarship as a result of a generous bequest from the late Mr. G H Benn in memory of his late wife Marianne Von Werther, a former member of the RBA. The prize is presented with a view to offer an enriching learning experience for a young emerging artist as well as augmenting their professional profile.
The Award Offers:
- Four weeks at Sala Uno, a highly prestigious gallery and international arts centre in the heart of Rome
- Accommodation is in a self-contained apartment, situated within a wonderful and extensive walled garden in the grounds of the gallery
- Studio space will be available within the gallery
- Half-board. Breakfast and evening meal, is provided at a nearby restaurant
- Return flights to Rome are paid for
Conditions for Entry:
- The competition opens on September 1st 2017 and closes on January 6th 2018
- The applicants’ work needs to be figurative
- The artists may be painters, printmakers or sculptors
- The applicants need to be aged up to 35 years
- Six images of recent work to be provided together with a completed application form, link below
Process for Selection:
- 20 artists will be chosen as semi-finalists from the entire entry
- The semi-finalists will be invited to show some of their work at our “RBA RISING STARS” exhibition.
and will take place in London at “The Framers’ Gallery” in ‘Fitzrovia’ just off Tottenham Court Road and a stone’s throw from Soho.
The show will run from 12th – 17th March 2018, and all works may be for sale – 35% commission to the gallery.
- From these, a shortlist of 3 finalists will then be invited to an interview at the Mall Galleries, in central London. These finalists will all have one work on show (and on sale) at the RBA Annual Exhibition in March and the winning candidate will be announced by the President of the RBA at the Private View
- Semi-finalists are responsible for the delivery and collection of their own works
- It is suggested that large scale works be accompanied by smaller works as, if the artist is chosen as a semi-finalist or finalist, exhibition space will be limited and this will influence selection
- It may be helpful for the 3 finalists to bring with them for interview any sketchbooks or journals which show their exploration of techniques or development of their ideas
How to apply:
Click on the button below to download Application Form and return the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer our apologies to those who tried to use the Online Form as we have experienced some technical difficulties. Please try again using the form above.
Read the experiences of previous winners of the scholarship: